Close Date: May 24, 2013
Salary: $12.64 - $15.80 Hourly
he City of Redwood City is looking for people interested in working with pre-school children 20 hours per week in a fun environment in our Lil’ Learners Program at the Red Morton Community Center This position will plan, organize and conduct projects and activities that support basic academics, be involved in planning, preparation and participating in arts, crafts, story reading, song time and motor skill activities for pre-school children ages 3-5 years old. The hours of this position will be Monday, Wednesday and Friday 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., and Tuesday and Thursday 8:45 a.m. to 12:45p.m. This position is only available during the school year (school year is August through June of the following year).
Typical duties may include, but are not limited to the following: Plan, organize and conduct activies that support basic academics; plan, organize and conduct motor skill activities and games; lead a variety of recreation activities which may include, but are not limited to, arts and crafts, organized games, story time, social recreation and music/singing activities; insure that proper safety precautions are observed in assigned activities and free play; maintain and care for equipment; help with preparation of activity calendars, bulletin boards, lesson plans and/or coaching strategies as appropriate to help promote and plan pre-school activities effectively; report to supervisors orally and in writing; complete assigned paperwork such as timecards, attendance reports and/or incident and accident reports; follow Departmental and Citywide rules and regulations as they relate to the supervision of pre-school participants and general work procedures; perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
These are non-benefited casual positions. A casual employee may not work more than 1000 hours per fiscal year.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education & Experience
Education equivalent to high school graduation required. Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age. Completion of Early Child Education (ECE) units highly preferred. Experience in a preschool setting is highly desirable.
· Current early childhood education practices
· Pre-school recreation activities
· Stages of development of preschoolers
· School readiness principals
· Customer service techniques
· Develop and implement effective program curriculum/content
· Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
· Plan and schedule activities
· Engage children in activities such as arts & crafts, music and sports
· Organize people, supplies, equipment and facilities
· Explain and enforce rules, regulations, procedures and program objectives
· Understand, evaluate and resolve problems and conflicts
· Establish, maintain and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
· Follow safety procedures
· Exercise good judgement, tact and courtesy
Must be physically capable of performing the essential job functions of this classification.
Applications may be obtained in one of the following ways:
2. Call our 24-hour Job Hotlineat (650) 780-7292.
3. Visit the City of Redwood City Department of Human Resources (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm) at 1017 Middlefield Road, Redwood City, California 94063
4. Visit the City of Redwood City Red Morton Community Center (Monday-Friday, 7am-10pm, Saturday, 9am-9pm), at 1120 Roosevelt Avenue, Redwood City, California 94061
Candidates with a disability, which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process, should advise the Department of Human Resources upon submittal of application.
All applications will be reviewed for neatness, accuracy, completion, relevant education, experience, training and other job related qualifications. The most appropriately qualified applicants will be asked to participate in the testing process which will consist of an interview with Parks, Recreation and Community Services Department staff. Prior to appointment candidates may be required to pass a physical examination, at no cost to the candidate. Also prior to appointment, candidates will be required to pass a background/fingerprint check at no cost to the candidate. Final appointment will be made by the Parks, Recreation and Community Services Director. The Immigration Act of 1986 requires proof of identity and eligibility for employment at date of hire.
The City of Redwood City is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
We are an exceptional organization and a leader in the Bay Area. The values that guide us are:
· EXCELLENCE: Passion to do our best in each moment.
· INTEGRITY: Do the right thing, not the easy thing.
· SERVICE: We care and it makes a difference.
· CREATIVITY: Freedom to imagine and courage to act.
The City of Redwood City is a great place to work!
Note: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.