The City of Brisbane is currently recruiting for non-sworn Police Officer Trainee candidates. This is for individuals that have no prior law enforcement experience and have not received POST certified police academy training. Trainees are paid while attending a POST-certified Police Academy. Upon successful completion of the police academy and upon availability of a police officer position, trainees are eligible to be sworn in as a Police Officer and become eligible for salary and benefits as outlined in the Brisbane Police Officers Association Memorandum of Understanding.
Police Officers are responsible for performing a wide variety of law enforcement duties involving the prevention of crime, protection of life and property, and the enforcement of laws and ordinances; controls traffic flow and enforce state and local regulations; perform investigative work and other related police work assignments. Duties and hours will vary with assignments. A full job description is available online at www.brisbaneca.org.
- Minimum 21 years of age.
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident Alien who is eligible and has applied for citizenship.
- Graduation from an accredited or approved U.S. high school or equivalent.
- Possession of California Driver’s License and able to maintain satisfactory driving record.
- Free from felony convictions, domestic violence convictions, or misdemeanors that carry a penalty of prohibiting ownership, possession, or control or a firearm.
- Proof of T-Score of 50 or higher on the POST Entry-Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB) and proof of passing POST certified academy physical agility test (PAT). Proof of completion of the PELLETB and PAT must be attached to your application and have been completed within the past 12 months. For more information please visit the following website: http://theacademy.ca.gov/tests
- Must pass a background investigation and meet all department medical, physical and psychological standards.
Police Officer Trainee: $30.60 per hour
Police Officer: $6,963.04 - $7,311.19 - $7,676.74 - $8,060.57 - $8,463.60 per month. Additional 2% COLA increase effective June 30, 2019. Appointments to this classification are normally made at the first step of this five step salary range. Candidates are also eligible for additional salary incentives including Holiday Pay, Education Incentives, and other special assignment pays.
Police Officer Trainee Benefits:
Health Insurance: CalPERS Health Program with paid Single-Tier medical coverage
Sick leave: 24 Hours after 90 days of employment
Retirement: CalPERS Miscellaneous pension benefits
Employee Assistance Program
Workers Compensation Coverage while at Academy
Police Officer Benefits: This position is eligible for benefits under the Brisbane Police Officers Association Memorandum of Understanding.
- Retirement: CalPERS 3%@ 55 for “Classic” members, 2.7%@ 57 for “New” members.
- Health Insurance: Coverage provided by CalPERS Health Program, with premium paid up to family coverage through Cafeteria Plan.
- Dental: Self-insured dental, coverage provided for eligible dependents.
- Vision: VSP, coverage provided for eligible dependents.
- Life Insurance ($150,000 coverage) and Long Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program through MHN
- Employer contribution to choice of 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account Available
- Voluntary Commuter Spending Account
- Vacation leave
- Sick leave (after 90 days of employment)
- Uniform allowance
Interested candidates must submit a completed on-line CalOpps employment application along with a copy of U.S. High School diploma or equivalent, PELLETB and PAT results. Applications will be accepted on a continuous basis until positions are filled.
Applications will be screened for completeness. After an initial screening of applications, those applicants that meet the minimum qualifications and appear to best meet the Department’s need will be invited to participate in an oral panel interview. Candidates must receive a passing score to be placed on the initial eligibility list. A limited number of candidates from the eligibility list will be invited for an interview with the Police Commander and Police Chief. Depending upon the number of candidates in each recruitment set, this process may be altered. After a mutual interest has been established, a thorough background investigation will be conducted, including fingerprinting and a polygraph. Upon successfully passing the background investigation, candidates must successfully complete a psychological evaluation, medical evaluation, including drug testing, and provide proof of legal right to work in the U.S. prior to appointment. The Police Chief will make the final recommendation for appointment.
¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨
The City of Brisbane is an Equal Opportunity Employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other status protected by state, federal or city law in its employment actions, decisions, policies, and practices. The duties described in this job announcement are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This job announcement does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job and benefits available change.
Please note that this website only accepts one attachment with your application so please include all supporting documents into one document. If you are unable to upload all requested documents to the CalOpps website, please submit a complete set of documents via fax (415) 508-1178 or email within 3 days of submitting your application. Failure to do so may result in your application being disqualified.