Under general supervision, performs a variety of technical accounting duties involved in the preparation, review, and maintenance of accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, permit processing, and/or cashiering; and preparation of schedules, reconciliations, and journal entries and other duties as assigned.
Employees at this level perform the full range of duties as assigned, working independently and exercising judgment and initiative. Employees at this level receive only occasional instruction or assistance as new or unusual situations arise, and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work unit.
A summary of the minimum qualifications for the position is listed below.
Experience and Training: Two years of increasingly responsible technical level experience in accounting or finance.
Education: Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade. College course work in accounting or related field is desirable.
License or Certificate: May need to possess a valid California driver’s license and proof of automobile liability insurance as required by the position.
To be considered for this position, you must submit a completed, official Employment Application and responses to a Supplemental Questionnaire. If you do not complete and submit all required information, your application may be disqualified from further consideration. You are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter in addition to the required materials, but these may not be substituted for the required materials.
- ON-LINE APPLICATION: You may apply on-line by visiting www.Calopps.org to complete the City Employment Application. A cover letter and resume may be included as part of the on-line Employment Application under the heading “Additional Experience.”
- HARD COPY APPLICATION: You may obtain a hard copy Employment Application by visiting www.citrusheights.net and downloading the application, or you may request an application by calling the City’s Recruitment Hotline at (916) 727- 4731, TTY/TDD users can call the California Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1. Submit hard copy application and resume to: City of Citrus Heights/Human Resources, Attention: Accounting Technician Recruitment, 6360 Fountain Square Drive, Citrus Heights, CA 95621. No postmarked, faxed or e-mailed materials will be accepted.
Schedule and Examination/Selection Process
The City reserves the right to select applicants for further consideration who demonstrate the best qualifications match for the position. Meeting the required minimum qualifications does not guarantee an applicant an invitation to the next step(s) in the selection process. Only the most qualified applicants as determined by the City may be invited to the next step(s) of the process. Those candidates whose experience and training most closely match the City’s needs may be invited to participate in a first interview and potentially a second interview. The finalist(s) identified at the departmental interview will be subject to a thorough background and reference check process, including a credit check and Live Scan fingerprint criminal history check. The finalist must also pass a drug test conducted by a City-appointed physician and if this is successfully completed, a final offer of employment may be made.
Method of Communication
- Primary communication regarding your status relative to this recruitment will be by e-mail; applicants are solely responsible for monitoring their e-mail communication messages and systems.
- Applicants are solely responsible for informing the City of changes in contact information, including but not limited to e-mail addresses, mailing addresses, post office boxes, and telephone numbers.
ALL INTERESTED APPLICANTS – PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION
This listing is solely for the purpose of announcing job opportunities and does not constitute a contract, expressed or implied; provisions contained herein may be modified or revised without notice.
It is the policy of the City of Citrus Heights not to discriminate against qualified employees or applicants because of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, medical condition, physical or mental disability, or any other basis protected by law. Qualified individuals with a disability will receive reasonable accommodation, as required by the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA), and federal laws including the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504, during any phase of the selection process, providing such request is made to Human Resources at least five working days in advance. Medical disability verification may be required prior to accommodation.
Ideal Candidate Posses Knowledge of:
- Generally accepted accounting principles, mathematics related to accounting processes and internal controls appropriate to accounting procedures.
- Municipal accounting systems, procedures and requirements.
- Principles and practices of financial record keeping and reporting.
- Pertinent local, State and Federal laws, ordinances, City functions, policies, rules and regulations affecting assigned function.
- Methods and techniques of cash handling.
- Creating and using computerized spreadsheets.
- Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment including computer-based accounting systems.
- English usage, grammar, punctuation and business letter writing.
- Techniques and methods of report writing.
- Principles and practices of working safely.
- Public relations/customer contact skills.
The hiring salary may be set anywhere within the salary range, based on a candidate’s experience. The City offers first class benefits, including: CalPERS retirement (employee pays full member contribution), 136 hours of Annual Leave (to be used for vacation or sick time); 40 hours of Long Term Medical Leave; a substantial monthly City contribution toward health insurance, and if alternative group health care coverage is demonstrated, a $600/month cash-out may be added to salary or deferred compensation; and fully paid family dental, family vision, life, and long-term disability insurance. The City does not participate in Social Security but does participate in Medicare and State Disability Insurance (SDI).