SENIOR TRAFFIC ENGINEER*
$8,184 - $9,949/mo. + Excellent Benefits
*Pending City Council Approval on 05/14/2019
DEFINITION: Under general direction, plans, organizes and supervises professional transportation and/or traffic engineering work within an assigned group; and performs a variety of technical tasks relative to assigned areas of responsibility. This position may exercise direct supervision over professional and technical staff. Possession of, and continuously throughout employment, of a Professional Traffic Engineer (TE) certificate and a valid Class “C” or its equivalent Driver’s License is required. Possession of a Professional Engineer’s (PE) certificate is highly desirable.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The incumbent must have the ability to:
- Assist in the development and implementation of goals, policies, procedures and priorities.
- Provide professional technical transportation and/or traffic engineering support services relative to assigned area of responsibility and represent the Engineering Division as necessary at public meetings.
- Interpret and apply relevant codes, ordinances, resolutions, rules and regulations.
- Prepare and/or review agreements, prepare requests for proposals and contracts for consulting services.
- Supervise the preparation, updating and maintenance of maps, plans, traffic models and records.
- Check plans for accuracy, suitability, and completeness; provide recommendations for revision and improvement.
- Meet and confer with developers, contractors, engineers and the general public relative to City policies, regulations and procedures; recommend resolution to discrepancies and problem situations with outside parties.
- Administer and/or oversee the administration of contracts; review and approve all payments and billings for contracted services.
- Coordinate activities with other divisions and departments as appropriate.
- Serve on a variety of City and outside commissions, boards and committees as assigned.
- Conduct special transportation and/or traffic engineering studies relative to assigned area of responsibility; prepare appropriate reports and analyses.
- Supervise, train and evaluate assigned professional and technical staff.
- Interpret and apply applicable codes, ordinances, rules and regulations related to development and construction.
- Interpret, review and analyze development proposals, plans and specifications.
- Prepare specifications and compose technical reports.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with outside agencies, developers, contractors, engineers, city staff and the general public.
- Perform any other tasks or functions deemed necessary to the daily operations of the employer.
THE ABOVE LIST OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS IS NOT EXHAUSTIVE AND MAY BE SUPPLEMENTED AS NECESSARY BY THE EMPLOYER.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending and stooping in the performance of daily activities. The position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movement, and fine coordination in preparing reports using a computer keyboard. Additionally, the position requires near and far vision in reading written reports and work related documents. Acute hearing is required when providing telephone and counter assistance.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING GUIDELINES: The incumbent must have knowledge of principals and practices of supervision, transportation and traffic engineering, grant administration, project management, and budget preparation and administration. EXPERIENCE: Four (4) years of increasingly responsible professional transportation and/or traffic engineering work with project management responsibility, AND two (2) years of which must have been as a supervisor. EDUCATION: Equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in civil engineering, engineering technology or a closely related field. Additional years of experience and specialized training may substitute for some of the educational requirements. LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS: Possession of, and continuously throughout employment, of a Professional Traffic Engineer (TE) certificate and a valid Class “C” or its equivalent Driver’s License is required. Possession of a Professional Engineer’s (PE) certificate is highly desirable.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Prior to completing an application, please read the minimum qualifications for the position in which you are interested. You cannot be considered for a position unless you meet the minimum experience, education, license, and/or certification requirements. Under the work experience section, account for all employment within the last ten years (including gaps in employment), beginning with your current or most recent employer. Applications will be rejected if “SEE RESUME” is written on any portion of this section. The Work Experience section of the application should clearly demonstrate that minimum qualifications are met. All statements made on applications are subject to investigation and verification. False statements will be cause for disqualification, removal from the Eligibility List, or discharge from employment.
SELECTION PROCESS: Following a review of applications submitted, qualified applicants will be notified of their status in the recruitment process, which may include the date, time, and place of an examination. Written, oral, performance and physical exams may be given (no veterans preference given). All candidates will be required to provide identification before being admitted to written, interview, or performance examinations.
We encourage everyone to file an application with us and we do not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sex, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, or veteran status. Reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act are available upon request for individuals with disabilities. Please call (909) 350-7650 for additional information or to request an accommodation. The provisions of this job posting do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provisions contained in this job posting may be modified or revoked without notice.
THE CITY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO RATE CANDIDATES BASED ON A REVIEW OF THE APPLICATION MATERIALS AND TO INVITE ONLY THE MOST QUALIFIED CANDIDATES TO PARTICIPATE IN SUCCESSIVE PARTS OF THE SELECTION PROCESS.