THE CITY OF FREMONT
Fremont maintains a workforce of approximately 915 staff. It is an employer that values its people, creativity, quality service, integrity, open communication, mutual respect and diversity. Home to a wide variety of innovative high tech, life science and clean technology firms including Tesla motors, Lam Research, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Redwood Systems among many others. The City’s innovation District is know as the hottest new address for start-ups. Over the last two years, companies in Fremont received more than $400 million in venture funding according to PitchBook Data. Employees find their work challenging, yet rewarding, and most importantly, enjoy the chance to make a difference through public service. Think Fremont!
THE CITY MANAGER’S OFFICE
The City Manager’s Office supports the City Council’s efforts to engage in legislative advocacy at the local, state, and national levels in support of the City’s interests.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
- Monitor legislative activity and support legislative advocacy on behalf of the City.
- Work with a variety of City departments to complete policy analysis.
- Work with City staff to update key administrative regulations.
- Provide staff support to public boards, commissions and meetings.
- Participate in the development of the Capital Improvement Program budget and the Citywide Operating budget.
- Monitor, administer and coordinate the preparation of divisional/departmental budgets.
- Provide project management on assigned projects.
- Develop, negotiate and administer internal and external contracts.
- Research, analyze and prepare reports, memorandums and recommendations to the City Manager’s Office and the City Council on Citywide programs, policies and issues.
- Assist with the preparation of the City Council agenda packet, attend Council meetings, and follow up on agenda items.
- Plan and organize public meetings.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO IS
- An organized overachiever. You will need to work in a fast-paced environment with competing requirements and deadlines.
- Analytical and data driven. You will understand local government and have the ability to analyze pending legislation and define the local impact.
- An excellent writer and communicator.
- Able to work collaboratively with people from within the City and from outside agencies and citizen groups.
- Able to respond to abrupt changes in priorities.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE FOR THIS JOB WILL TYPICALLY HAVE
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Economics, Finance or Public Administration.
- Three years of progressively responsible professional level municipal service.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- A Master’s degree is highly desirable.
Current benefit features include:
- CalPERS Retirement Benefit*
- Classic Employees - 2.0% @ 60 benefit, 3 year final average compensation.
- New Employees - 2.0% @ 62 benefit, 3 year final average compensation.
- Required PERS contributions vary by plan. All required contributions are tax deferred.
- Cafeteria Benefits Plan for employees/dependents includes up to $2,130.13 monthly to purchase medical, dental and vision plans; child care and medical expenses can be paid for with pre-tax dollars.
A complete benefits summary can be found at Fremont.gov.