Under direct supervision of the Clinical Supervisor, the Family Partner will work as an important member of the clinical team that provides counseling and case management services to parents and their children in Fremont, Newark and Union City area. The incumbent of this position will provide peer support and assist families in accessing needed services while promoting independence and advocacy skills through a respectful and non-judgmental manner. The Family Partner uses their own personal lived experience and ensures that the family’s perspective is represented in the provision of all services which will be conducted in the child’s home or school, at Youth and Family Services’ clinic located at the Fremont Family Resource Center or in other community settings. This City of Fremont Youth and Family Services position is supported by funding from Alameda County Behavioral Health Care Services and Alameda County Probation Department.
This is a full-time, temporary assignment. Current funding allows for a 1 year assignment. There is potential for a longer term employment opportunity dependent on continued funding.
EXAMPLES OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists family with identifying needs, existing strengths, and accessing services.
- Provides families with information and referral to needed supportive services and resources.
- Serves as a peer role model and supports families as they navigate the system.
- Educates and mentors parents helping them to understand and advocate for their rights.
- Increases awareness about the benefits of parent / professional provider partnerships.
- Participates in clinical team meetings while representing the parent’s perspective.
- Serves as a liaison between families, mental health counselors and social workers.
- Partners with mental health counselors and parents using a team approach to support the development and evaluation of their child’s treatment plan.
- Completes all charting and documentation requirements using electronic health record system.
- Represents City at outreach and community events.
- Participates in related trainings and workshops.
- Participates in data collection as required by funders.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Any combination of education and/or experience that has provided the knowledge and skills necessary for satisfactory job performance would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and skills would be: a high school diploma or equivalent, and experience navigating child and family serving systems in Alameda County such as Behavioral Health Care, Social Services, school systems, Juvenile/Adult Probation, and Regional Center.
The ideal candidate will have familiarity with advocating for children who have mental health and/or developmental concerns, and experience children in parenting and family systems in a professional and/or personal capacity. The Family Partner must possess the willingness to work with families with complex needs whose children are exhibiting mental/behavioral issues.
The following are highly desirable:
- Lived personal experience as a parent/caregiver using mental health services, social services, school services, and / or probation services for a child (biological, foster, or relative)
- Experience as a Family Partner or Family Advocate, advocating for youth and parents who are accessing social, legal, or educational services.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish with spoken and written proficiency in both languages.
- An Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree with coursework in child development, mental health, or social welfare.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Good organizational skills.
- Ability to work effectively with a multi-disciplinary team which includes mental health providers, case managers, and family members.
- Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, which may include some evenings and weekends.
This temporary position does not include benefits.
To view the complete job announcement and application instructions, visit www.fremont.gov/tempjobs.
Qualified candidates will be promptly referred to the department for consideration. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply immediately.