The City of Fremont’s Human Services Department is currently looking for several on-call, temporary employees to work evening shifts. Shifts will be from 6:00 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. and 12:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. from November 15th through March 15th. The City of Fremont will open their Winter Relief Shelter to provide a safe and welcoming environment for individuals and families experiencing homelessness. Participants will have access to the shelter from approximately 6:30 p.m. to 7 a.m., where they will be provided with a warm meal, restroom facilities, sleeping bags, cots, breakfast, and a to-go bag.
The position will work up to 30 hours per week.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
• Maintain the health and safety of homeless individuals and families who are living on the streets or in their cars and are in need of emergency shelter from cold weather and rain.
• Welcome and pre-screen new participants and supervise participant movement.
• Maintain a friendly and inviting environment.
• Work compassionately with those who have difficulty engaging with service providers.
• Effectively resolve conflicts among participants and de-escalate potentially violent situations.
• Monitor participant activities, oversee showers and food distribution; help coordinate medical transportation to morning appointments.
• Maintain a safe and supportive environment.
• Direct volunteers who will assist in bringing food and serving homeless clients.
• Setup tables for food service, hand out bedding, warm clothing and other amenities such as shampoo, tooth brushes, etc.
• Ensure participants adherence to rules, especially related to behaviors that are unsafe. If necessary, notify public safety personnel to help “exit” clients with inappropriate or unsafe behaviors.
• Respond appropriately to emergencies.
• Maintain daily sign-in sheet.
• Ensure facility is maintained in a clean and orderly fashion.
• E-mail information to Human Services Director after each shift regarding the number of participants, any need for supplies, and reports of clients who exhibited inappropriate behavior.
• Other duties as assigned.
The Department is searching for friendly and compassionate candidates with the ability to effectively work with a diverse group; help participants feel welcome, while ensuring a safe environment. Candidates must be willing to work when called for duty for this on-call position. Candidates with social service experience, or experience in working with the homeless population are strongly encouraged to apply.
Any combination of education and/or experience that has provided the knowledge and skills necessary for satisfactory job performance would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and skills would be a high school diploma or equivalent, and some social service experience.
This temporary assignment does not include benefits.
To view the complete job announcement and application instructions, visit www.fremont.gov/tempjobs
Applications will be accepted until a sufficient number of qualified applicants to test are received. The position may close without notice. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply immediately.