The City of Half Moon Bay
Invites your application for the position of
Administrative Services Director
The City of Half Moon Bay (population 13,000) is offering an outstanding career opportunity for a hands-on leader with strong communication skills to serve as Administrative Services Director. With an adopted General Fund Budget of $17.75 million for FY 2018-19, the City has seen steady growth in revenues over the past eight years. The Administrative Services Director is an at-will position reporting directly to the City Manager and is the financial strategist for this public organization. The Administrative Services Department has a $2.1 million budget, 8 total full-time positions, and is responsible for planning, managing, supervising, and directing the day-to-day management and operations of the Department. The Director will be well versed in all aspects of municipal finance and will also be expected to have a working knowledge of sound human resource policies and practices, as well as have a general understanding of how technology can serve to enhance capacity and efficiency within City operations. A Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of increasingly responsible experience in financial management and analysis, budget development, accounting, and treasury including four years managing professional staff. An advanced degree is desired. While a CPA designation is not required, it may be an added plus combined with a well-rounded financial career in local government. Annual salary for this position will be $160,440 to $194,976 plus an excellent benefits package, including PERS retirement.
Interested candidates should apply by submitting a compelling cover letter and comprehensive resume to email@example.com by Monday, June 3, 2019. Confidential inquires welcomed to Heather Renschler at (916) 630-4900.
In addition to being a skilled financial professional, the new Administrative Services Director will be also be a hands-on leader with strong communication and interpersonal skills. The preferred candidate will eagerly foster positive working relationships with all levels of city staff.
Other personal attributes include being:
- Approachable with an energetic style;
- Able to multi-task and pivot quickly;
- Creative with the ability to develop effective solutions;
- Importantly, a Visionary and Strategic Big Picture Thinker.
This position requires at least five years of progressively responsible experience in financial management and analysis, budget development, accounting, and treasury including four years managing professional staff. Experience working in a public entity setting. Education: This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Public or Business Administration, or related field. MBA/MPA or other relevant advanced degree is desired. Certification/License: While a CPA designation is not required, it may be an added plus combined with a wellrounded financial career in local government.
The City of Half Moon Bay offers an attractive and competitive compensation and benefits program. The annual salary range for this position is $160,440 to $194,976. Placement within the range will be based on the experience and skills of the selected candidate. Relocation and moving expenses may be explored for the selected candidate.
The benefit package includes:
- Retirement: PERS Classic employee receives 2% at 55, single highest year; and PEPRA employee receives 2% at 62, with highest 3-year average. Classic employees pay 7% employee contribution and PEPRA employees pay half the normal costs (currently 6.5%). The City of Half Moon Bay does not participate in Social Security, except the required Medicare.
- Health Insurance: Employee can choose from medical plans provided through CalPERS. Dental Insurance is available through Delta Dental and Vision coverage is available through VSP. The City provides an allowance of $1,800 per month, which can be used for medical premiums. Any unused portion may be taken as additional compensation. Dental and Vision premiums are paid by the employer up to family coverage.
- Flexible Spending Account: Employees may elect to contribute pretax dollars towards their FSAs for approved uses under such plan(s).
- Other Insurance: The City provides long-term disability coverage equal to 2/3 of monthly salary to a maximum of $6,000 per month.
- Life Insurance: City provides coverage equal to 1 X annual base salary.
- Holidays: 14 paid holidays per year.
- Vacation: Accrual of 12 days per year for the first four years; increasingly periodically thereafter to 23 days annually after 21 years.
- Administrative Leave: Accrual of 12 days per year.
- Sick Leave: Accrual of 12 days per year.
- Auto Allowance: Receive $250 per month.
- Education Incentive: $1,500 annually and an additional $1,500 after two or more years of service for eligible expenses upon approval.
- Deferred Compensation: Voluntary participation in ICMA or CalPERS 457 plans are available. After one year of service, the City will match fifty cents for every dollar employee contributes up to (4.0%) of the employee’s salary.
To Be Considered
This is a confidential recruitment and will be handled accordingly throughout the various stages of the process. Candidates should be aware that references will not be contacted until mutual interest has been established.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early in the process and no later than Monday, June 3, 2019. This position may close upon sufficient number of highly qualified candidates. Electronic submittals are strongly preferred to Ralph Andersen & Associates at firstname.lastname@example.org and should include compelling cover letter and comprehensive resume.
Ralph Andersen & Associates will conduct preliminary interviews as applications are received. Only the most highly qualified candidates will be invited for an on-site interview. Tentative date for Panel Interview is Wednesday, June 26, 2019. Confidential inquiries are welcomed to Ms. Heather Renschler at (916) 630-4900.
Serious candidates may request to meet confidentially with the Search Consultant at the GFOA Conference in Los Angeles on Monday, May 20 or Tuesday, May 21. Please contact the Search Firm’s Recruitment Scheduler, Ms. Tina Keller, at (916) 630-4900 to coordinate an in-person meeting with Ms. Heather Renschler during the GFOA conference.