Under supervision of the Information Technology Manager, the Information Technology Technician position supports programs and activities related to the City’s technology and telecommunications operations and systems. This includes performing basic computer related duties such as analyzing, troubleshooting, and resolving technical operational problems for desktop computers, peripherals, and networks; providing informal training to users on system implementation and operations; performing other related duties as assigned by supervisor. The assignment is 27-30 hours per week for approximately 6 months and may be extended.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Respond to all information technology help desk requests and provide a full range of assistance and help to system and equipment users in the role of help desk expert.
- Performs basic and advanced configuration, installation and maintenance of computers, peripherals, telephones and mobile devices.
- Participates on project teams to ensure successful implementation of new systems or upgrades to existing systems.
- Analyzes and/or resolves computer, software, and application problems for on-premise and cloud-based systems and network resources supported by the City of Los Altos.
- Monitors computer systems, networks, and applications for response time, problem prevention, performance and resource utilization.
- Reports hardware failures to appropriate vendors via telephone or on-line systems.
- Evaluates user hardware and software needs and assists in acquisition of approved equipment and software.
- Assists IT team members to train end-users in operating systems, application programs; assists users in applying computer training to work environment; creates technical documents and computer training for end-users.
- Schedules training classes and coordinates class preparation.
- Assists with front counter check-in system as well as campus-wide wireless networks.
- Compiles and maintains computer and system documentation.
- Works with IT team members for assigned tasks; performs other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- In the absence of the IT Manager, will take direction from the IT Analyst.
Customer support and other position expectations:
- Maintains punctuality and attendance at work.
- This position will require occasional night and evening work.
- Maintains internal and external customer relations.
- Uses tact and diplomacy in all interactions with customers.
- Establishes and maintains positive and effective working relationships with co-workers and those contacted in the course of work.
- Calms angry customers using interpersonal skills and advises co-workers or supervisors if appropriate.
- Maintains a professional office environment.
- Maintains attention to detail by prioritizing work and coordinating several activities simultaneously despite interruptions.
- Maintains integrity of work.
- Takes responsibility and accountability for completion of work and customer interactions.
MINIMUM POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
Installation, maintenance and repair of computer, peripheral and network equipment; remote support software and its usage in supporting geographically diverse clients, audio/visual equipment and its setup/maintenance; data communications processes; installation and utilization of client/server applications; principles of file and data management systems; capabilities, limitations, characteristics, and uses of various business software applications; principles and procedures of personnel training; effective written and oral communications skills.
SKILL AND ABILITY TO:
Establish and maintain harmonious and effective working relationships with a wide variety of people that include senior management, employees, outside organizations, and the general public; research and understand emerging technologies and their application to improve City services; make sound decisions in a manner consistent with essential job functions; operate electronic testing equipment and/or tools in the installation and/or repair of computer, peripheral and network equipment problems; work under direction to prioritize work and seek solutions to specific problems; apply logical and orderly analysis processes to troubleshooting and solving operational computer and peripheral equipment problems; conduct and/or coordinate informal and formal training regarding City computer equipment and software.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
Any combination equivalent to experience, education and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities could be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- An Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field such as computer science, information technology systems or a related field. Professional certification in one or more fields of information technology may be substituted for the education. Additional years of experience may be substituted for educational experience on year for year basis.
- Possession of a MCSA (Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate). CompTIA A+, Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) or Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MSCE) is desirable but not required.
- 3+ years of experience providing user support in the operation, maintenance, and implementation of applications programs on multiple platforms including client/server, desktop computer and networks.
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license with a satisfactory driving record is required.
IDEAL CANDIDATE POSSESSES THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS:
The Ideal Candidate possesses the following characteristics: Is highly professional, patient, respectful, and ethical; possesses excellent problem-solving skills and a can-do attitude; demonstrates outstanding customer services skills and follow through, is willing to go above and beyond to achieve positive results. Communicates effectively and proactively both verbally and in writing. Maintains integrity, and is accountable and responsible for all work completed; is tactful and diplomatic.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND GENERAL WORKING CONDITIONS
Requires the mobility and manual dexterity to work in a standard office environment, use standard office equipment and attend off-site meetings; speech and hearing to communicate in person and by telephone; vision to read handwritten and printed materials and a computer screen; and strength and agility to lift and carry items weighing up to 70 pounds. On a continuous basis work in an office environment sitting at a desk for long periods of time; travel from job site to job site sitting in vehicle; bend, squat, climb, kneel and twist while performing field work; may be exposed to dust, noise, machinery, moving objects and other vehicles while performing field work; may work on uneven or slippery surfaces; and may intermittently perform field work while exposed to various types of weather including extreme heat during summer months and cold temperatures during the winter months. Some accommodations may be made for some physical demands for otherwise qualified individuals who require and request such accommodations. The position may require occasional night and weekend work.
This is a Part-Time/Temporary/Seasonal position with an hourly rate range of $32/hr – $45/hr (DOE).
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment process, including employment verification and a complete background investigation. A conviction history will not necessarily disqualify an applicant from appointment; however, failure to disclose a conviction will result in disqualification or termination. Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or testing process should advise the Human Resources Division upon submittal of application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request. The City of Los Altos is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
A completed City application, cover letter and resume must be received.
The applicants most closely matching the City’s desired qualifications and organizational needs will be invited to participate in the interview process.