Join our dynamic and growing library, and be part of a team that gives our community the opportunity to learn, grow, and connect.
The Menlo Park library seeks per diem librarians to work in the youth services division. Possession of a Master of Library Science degree from an American Library Association accredited college or university is required; previous public library experience desirable but not required. This is an on-call position that would fill coverage gaps on the library’s service desks at the main library or at our branch.
Temporary librarians would assist patrons at the youth reference desk, advising children, parents, caregivers and teachers in the effective use of the library’s collection, facilities, and services.
In addition they may be asked to assist with one or more of the following:
- Collection development for an assigned area of the library; reviewing and analyzing collection use to identify materials to be ordered, replaced, or removed; recommending books, media, and materials for purchase based on community needs.
- Developing and implementing a variety of library related activities and programs, including story time sessions, library tours, cultural and holiday programs, and instructional classes.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Excellent customer service and communication skills, including problem-solving and flexibility
- Ability to work in a busy environment
- Proficiency with automated library systems and other computer applications
- Proficiency with online search tools and strategies
- Ability to work some night or weekend shifts
These are non-benefited temporary positions. A temporary employee may not work more than 1000 hours per year and will receive sick leave in accordance with State Law.
This recruitment will be continuously screened and candidates may be asked to come in for interviews until the positions are filled.