Definition: Under supervision, to provide leadership to recreation programs, activities or service; organizes and implements program elements and oversees participants; and performs related work as required. This is a temporary part-time non-benefited position.
Essential Duties: Depending upon assignment, the duties of a Summer Camp Counselor - Recreation Leader I , II or III may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Assists in planning, organizing, and leading summer camp activities.
- Organizes, inventories and maintains necessary facilities and materials.
- Maintains group and individual discipline.
- Facilitates safe and positive camp experiences
- Follow written curriculum to implement activities including arts and crafts, group games, and sports.
- Keeps records of attendance, participation.
- Typical duties include: implementation of camp curriculum, record keeping, maintaining supplies, and supervising groups of youth aged 5 to 12.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Special Requirements: Vision adequate to supervise participants in recreational programs; speak clearly; ability to bend stoop or crouch; physical stamina to supervise groups of youth participating in recreational programs; ability to work off-hours, shifts or events as required; strength to lift and carry materials weighing up to 20 pounds; and the ability to work outdoors in a variety of weather and temperature conditions.
- Common crafts, sports, games and recreation activities appropriate for all ages.
- Principles and methods used in organizing, conducting and supervising a program of recreational activities.
- Record keeping techniques.
- Basic first aid and safety practices and procedures.
- Basic youth development principles.
- Conduct daily camp operations including leading groups, activities, field trips, and set-up/break down of activities.
- Prioritize and handle multiple program tasks.
- Think and act quickly in emergencies.
- Judge situations and people accurately.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Establish and maintain effective and cooperative relationships with subordinates, peers, supervisors, and the public.
- Perform work in a safe manner.
- Perform the physical duties of the job.
Recreation Leader I: Current enrollment in high school, with minimum age of 15 at time of appointment. Must possess a work-permit.
Recreation Leader II: Current enrollment in high school, with minimum age of 16 at time of appointment. Additional college level semester units can be substituted for up to one year of required experience.
Recreation Leader III: Equivalent to completion of the twelfth (12) grade. Additional college level semester units can be substituted for up to one year of required experience.
Recreation Leader I: No previous experience required.
Recreation Leader II: Minimum of 500 hours of volunteer or paid work experience in an occupation involving recreation programs or equivalent.
Recreation Leader III: Minimum of 1,000 hours OR one year part-time progressively responsible experience as Recreation Leader II or equivalent.
License: Must possess and maintain a valid CALIFORNIA Class C Operator's license issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles and a satisfactory driving record.
Certificates: Must possess a first aid/CPR certification, or be willing to obtain one.
Must successfully complete background process. All candidates will be fingerprinted pursuant to California State Law. All successful candidates under age 18 must possess a work permit prior to hire.
An application may be submitted via CalOpps (www.calopps.org). An application may also be obtained from Human Resources located at: 621 Magnolia Ave., Millbrae, Ca 94030. Regular office hours: Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm.
Following a review of applications, qualified candidates will be invited for an oral interview.
Equal Opportunity Employer: It is the policy of the City of Millbrae to provide equal employment opportunities for all employees and applicants for employment meeting bona fide occupatinal qualifications, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation or disability.
No benefits are offered for this position.
Submit an application as soon as possible. This position is open until filled. This position may close at any time based on the needs of the City.
Please Note: This is a temporary at-will position, exempt from the provisions of the City's Personnel Rules.