Become a Lifeguard for the City of Milpitas!
The City of Milpitas Recreation Services seeks energetic, detail-oriented, enthusiastic and reliable individuals for temporary Lifeguards / Swim Instructors for the Aquatic programs at the Milpitas Sports Center. We offer flexible hours between 5:30am-9:00pm Monday-Sunday; limited to 999 hours in a fiscal year (July 1-June 30). Will be required to work nights, weekends, and holidays. Actual work schedule to be determined through agreement with supervisor.
What You Will Do
Under direct supervision of the Recreation Supervisor, Recreation Pool Manager and Recreation Assistant Pool Manager, Lifeguards / Swim Instructors will ensure the safety of facility patrons by preventing and responding to emergencies and instruct swim lessons for participants of all ages.
The essential functions of this position include: maintaining constant surveillance of patrons in the facility; acting immediately and appropriately to ensure the safety of patrons in the event of an emergency; providing emergency care and treatment as required until the arrival of emergency medical services; performing various maintenance duties as directed to maintain a clean and safe facility; preparing and maintaining appropriate reports; having thorough knowledge of rescue techniques; understanding and enforcing of facility rules, policies and procedures, having leadership, public relations skills and decision-making skills.
In addition, Swim Instructors are responsible for instructing all swim lesson participants, ensuring the safety of all participants in their class, instructing and evaluating students participating in swim lessons, submitting completed participant report cards on time and attending mandatory meetings and training sessions as scheduled.
The individual must be able to represent the City of Milpitas Recreation Services in a professional manner and follow the City’s and Recreation Services’ polices and regulations.
Experience and Education
Lifeguard / Swim Instructor
· Minimum age at time of hire is 15 years old.
· Knowledge of and the ability to demonstrate skills in swim lesson instruction.
· Ability to work independently and possess energy and enthusiasm.
· Pre-Employment testing of swimming skills and knowledge through a Lifeguard Academy (**With your commitment to work for City of Milpitas Aquatics Lap Swim Shift 5:30am-8:30am on Mondays, Wednesday, and Fridays, we will certify you for FREE!)
- Must have experience in working with children (3 – 17 years of age) and adults (18+ years of age).
· American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI) certification preferred but not required
License and Other Requirements
Upon selection, additional requirements include:
· Tuberculosis test.
· Valid Social Security card.
· Fingerprint clearance (Department of Justice background check) if 18 years or older.
The City of Milpitas is an Equal Opportunity/ADA employer. Reasonable accommodation in the application, examination, and selection process will be made upon request to Human Resources at (408) 586-3090.
The information contained in this announcement does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract and these provisions are subject to change.
- Flexible Schedules
- Free Gym Membership at the Milpitas Sports Center
- Competitive Pay
- Paid Sick Leave*
- Lifeguard Training and Certification Available
*Sick Leave paid up to 24 hours for employees with longevity of 3 months or more.