The City of San Bruno is currently recruiting for
Parks Maintenance Assistant
(Part Time 28 hours per week)
$17.50-$21.27 per hour
Application Deadline: Continuous
Under immediate supervision, part-time maintenance assistants performs unskilled and semiskilled tasks in the maintenance of parks and landscapes, trees, medians, facilities, streets, storm drains, water, electrical and other related duties as assigned.
This is a part-time, seasonal position with the Parks Maintenance Division and provides assistance to either the Parks and or Facilities Maintenance. It is distinguished from the Parks or Streets Maintenance Worker I positions as there are no special license requirements and it is not a flexibly staffed position.
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assist in the maintenance tasks associated with the care of grounds, landscaping, trees, facilities, parking areas, streets, water, storm drains and electrical utilities.
- Cleans and removes debris and litter from parks, restrooms, landscapes, facilities, parking lots, streets, gutters, storm drains, catch basins, drainage ditches, sidewalks, and street construction sites by shoveling, raking, sweeping, and picking up debris.
- Operates vehicles, equipment and power tools necessary to complete maintenance for the above assigned areas. If properly licensed may drive large two axle trucks as directed.
- Assists in digging holes and trenching for irrigation repairs and installation.
- Assist in loading, transporting, and unloading equipment, materials, debris, and other heavy objects related to maintenance.
- Sets up traffic control including signs and barricades, and directs traffic or acts as flag person to direct traffic around work sites.
- Helps repair and maintain fences, playground equipment, gates, doors, roofs, walks and walkways, sidewalks and gutters using hammer, saws, paint brushes and appropriate hand tools, spade, pick, hoe, shovels, tamper and jack hammer as directed.
- Assists with custodial duties throughout city facilities as needed. Duties may include restroom cleaning, emptying garbage, recycle, and compost receptacles, setting up for special events, mopping, vacuuming, floor finishing, window cleaning, etc.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge of functions, characteristics and proper use and care of common hand tools and safe work practices.
Ability to be trained in the use of supplies, tools and equipment used in in the work areas as described above in a variety of weather conditions; basic skills in following simple oral and written instructions; skills in performing manual work, lifting heavy objects up to 50 pounds; establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other persons.
Applicants should have the ability to read, write and carry out oral and written directions, maintain cooperative work relationships and work outdoors. The applicants must posses a valid California Drivers License and have a good driving record (recent DMV printout required).
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants may apply by submitting an application on calopps.org. After an initial screening, applicants that best fit the needs of the Department will be invited to an oral interview. Final candidates will be required to undergo a background check, fingerprinting, and a pre-employment physical exam prior to appointment.
Application Deadline: Continuous
The City of San Bruno is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and as such does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, gender, religion, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or national origin in its employment actions, decisions, policies and practices.
This position is a temporary part-time opportunity that offers no benefits. However, in accordance with the Healthy Workplaces, Healthy Families Act of 2014, the City of San Bruno recognizes that employees will need time off from work from time to time to address the medical needs of themselves or family members covered under the law. All temporary, part-time, and seasonal employees, who on or after July 1, 2015, work in California for 30 or more days within a year from the commencement of employment are entitled to paid sick leave for prescribed purposes. Employees will accrue one hour of paid sick leave for every 30 hours worked, and are entitled to use accrued sick days beginning on the 90th day of employment. Employees may use up to 24 hours (or 3 days) of accrued sick leave in each year of employment.