10 positions available at various school sites in the San Carlos School District.
Tentative work schedule:
M, T, Th, F: 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
W: 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
+ one hour weekly meeting
Approximately 27 hours per week.
SAN CARLOS SCHOOL DISTRICT
SMART-E After School Program Assistant
JOB DESCRIPTION: Under the direction of the SMART-E Program Coordinator, the SMART-E After School Program Assistant will support the program with tasks involved in running an active, fun, and engaging before and after school program. She/he will plan and lead engaging enrichment and recreation activities for groups of 20+ students. The SMART-E After School Program Assistant will be responsible for maintaining relationships and communication with the children, SMART-E team members, parents, and school staff at each assigned school site. Certain openings will require noon supervision duties, in which she/he will ensure the safety and well being of students during lunch recess period. Ideal candidates will have experience working with students of differing ages in a group environment, as well as a sports and/or physical fitness background.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure a safe, healthy, peaceful play environment for students.
- Plan and lead a fun, engaging, and hands-on after school curriculum.
- Lead and instruct students on safe and proper use of supplies and equipment, including safe playground behaviors.
- Maintain a clean, well-organized SMART-E classroom, which may include performing housekeeping functions.
- Interact professionally and communicate effectively with children, parents, school staff, and team members.
- Maintain confidentiality about children and their families, and report all suspected abuse to supervisor.
- Work successfully in a team environment under the direct supervision of the Program Coordinator.
- Maintain a positive approach to dealing with conflict and recognize conflict provides learning opportunities.
- Perform daily duties as assigned by site supervisor.
- Perform first aid care, as needed.
- Perform and be responsible for administrative duties (phone calls, rosters, etc.), as assigned.
- Attend weekly program meetings, which may involve curriculum planning.
- Attend monthly professional development meetings.
- Support and implement student behavior management protocol.
- Proactively contribute to the overall growth and continued success of the SMART-E Program.
- Experience and desire to work with elementary school students.
- Ability to be a positive role model for children.
- Positive energy & works well in a team environment.
- Associates Degree required, Bachelor’s Degree a plus.
- Valid driver's license and ability to drive self to work daily.
- Minimum 1 year experience working with children in an education or informal learning environment.
- CPR/First Aid certification required.
- Indoor, outdoor, community, and classroom setting.
- Moderate stress work environment.
- Exposure to hot, cold, wet, or windy conditions caused by weather may also be experienced.
- Visual ability to read handwritten or typed documents and the display screen of various equipment and machines including a computer monitor.
- Mental acuity to perform the essential functions of this position in an accurate, neat, timely, and efficient fashion.
- Able to conduct verbal conversation in English or other designated language.
- Able to hear normal range verbal conversations (approximately 60 decibels).
- Able to stand and walk.
- Able to operate a motor vehicle.
- Able to squat, twist, stoop, kneel, and bend.
- Able to sit for sustained periods of time.
- Able to climb slopes, stairs, steps, ramps, and ladders.
- Able to lift up to fifty (50) lbs. frequently and sixty (60) lbs. occasionally.
- Able to push and pull objects weighing up to fifty (50) lbs. and occasionally up to sixty (60) lbs.
- Able to exhibit full range of motion for shoulder external rotation and internal rotation.
- Able to exhibit full range of motion for shoulder abduction and adduction.
- Able to exhibit full range of motion for elbow flexion and extension.
- Able to exhibit full range of motion for shoulder extension and flexion.
- Able to exhibit full range of motion for back lateral flexion.
- Able to exhibit full range of motion for hip flexion and extension.
- Able to exhibit full range of motion for knee flexion.
- Able to demonstrate manual dexterity necessary to operate computer keyboard and other required equipment or tools in a safe and effective manner.
Proof of citizenship or legal status will be required upon offer of employment.
The San Carlos School District provides equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons.
The recruitment, interviewing, and hiring of all personnel will be without regard to race, ancestry, national origin, age, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marriage status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, genetic characteristics, or veteran status.
Health & Welfare Benefits Available
A complete application includes CalOpps application, letter of introduction, resume, and a letter of recommendation.