The City of San Mateo Public Works Department is seeking a Senior Facilities Maintenance Worker
Why Join our Department?
The Public Works Department is responsible for the City’s major capital projects and infrastructure including streets, street lights, traffic signals, publicly owned buildings, parking lots and garages, sewer and storm conveyance systems, wastewater treatment plant, pump stations, a major lagoon and dams and levees. The department is committed to high performance levels and standards, utilizing best practices relative to performance management and team-oriented approaches.
The City is continually evaluating new and innovative ways of providing high quality services to its residents while acknowledging the competing demands for the limited funds available. You would be joining over 550 people whose mission is to serve the San Mateo community with collaborative, innovative and professional spirit.
Look to some of the reasons why the City of San Mateo is a great place to work:
What You’ll Do
- Perform skilled carpentry, electrical and mechanical maintenance and repair work involving municipal facilities, buildings, lighting systems, control and heating, ventilating and cooling systems.
- Fully utilize the computerized work systems in accordance with workflow processes.
- Paint interior and exterior surfaces of municipal buildings, equipment and related facilities.
- Perform general plumbing installation. Repair and maintain heating and ventilation equipment, sinks, toilets, faucets in City buildings and facilities.
- Inspect, maintain and repair swimming pool facilities, including filtration systems and related equipment.
- Make routine and emergency purchases as authorized and required.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, contractors and the public.
- Lead and train others in municipal building maintenance and repair work.
- Assist and manage staff work flow through computerized work order management system. Enter data, prioritize work, assign tasks, close out work orders and run reports.
- Assist with the oversight of short and long term projects.
For a complete list of duties, reference our job specifications at www.cityofsanmateo.org
Who You Are
- You possess knowledge of the principles, practices, methods, materials and equipment used in facilities maintenance
and construction; the basic principles of personnel supervision and training; basic computer programs.
- You possess ability to prepare and maintain a variety of records and reports; communicate clearly and concisely orally and in writing; read and interpret plans and specifications; and identify hazards and maintain safe work practices.
What You Bring
- Three years of journey-level building maintenance and construction work involving a wide range of systems, components and equipment.
- Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade supplemented by specialized construction and maintenance training.
- Possession of, or the ability to obtain a valid California Driver’s License.
Bonus Points (highly desirable)
- Journey-level certification in one of the building trades and may, depending on assignment, be required upon employment.
- Proficiency in MS Windows, MS Office, work order management systems, electronic mail, web research, hand held devices and the willingness and ability to be trained in higher levels.
- Comprehensive benefits package including generous paid leave and health benefits
- CalPERS retirement (2% @ 55 for classic members; 2% @ 62 for new members). Classic employees contribute 7.5% to CalPERS and New members contribute 6.25% to CalPERS
- Participation in the Social Security Program
- Programs: City will match 0.5% into a Deferred Compensation plan
- Free Fitness classes through City of San Mateo Parks and Recreation, Employee Assistance Program and Credit Union Membership
- Bilingual Diff: $195 monthly (if applicable)
- Employee housing loan up to $7,500 for home purchase or rental move-in assistance in the City of San Mateo.
This classification is represented by the SEIU Unit
Are You Ready? Apply
Submit an online application, résumé, and supplemental questionnaire at www.calopps.org or to the Human Resources Department, City of San Mateo, 330 W. 20th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94403, (650) 522-7260.
Recruitment will close by Wednesday, June 5, 2019, @ 5:00 p.m. or upon receipt of the first 100 applications, résumés, and supplemental questionnaires, whichever occurs first.
All applications, résumés, and supplemental questionnaires received will be reviewed for minimum qualifications. A limited number of the most highly qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the examination process which may consist of an oral panel interview, tentatively scheduled for Thursday, June 27, 2019.
An employment list will be established for those who pass the examination process. Current and future vacancies may be filled from this list. The list will remain in effect for at least 6 months with the possibility of an extension for an additional 6 months. Once placed on an employment list, and at the time a vacancy occurs, eligible candidates may be contacted by the hiring department and scheduled for additional department interviews.
May 15, 2019
Note: The City of San Mateo reserves the right, at its discretion, to limit the number of qualified candidates invited to the selection process.
Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment process, including a pre-employment physical, a driving record review, reference check, and a Department of Justice (DOJ) fingerprint check. A conviction history will not necessarily disqualify an applicant from appointment.
Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or testing process should contact Lourdes Coles, Sr. Human Resources Analyst at email@example.com or (650) 522-7264. Do not upload any documents related to your request for accommodation in CalOpps.
The policy of the City of San Mateo is to grant equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, sex, gender, age, religion, ancestry, physical or mental disability, sexual preference, marital status or national origin. It is the intent and desire of the City of San Mateo that equal employment opportunity will be provided in recruiting, hiring, training, promoting, wages, benefits, and all other privileges, terms and conditions of employment. The City of San Mateo is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).