Full-Time (35 hours per week)
$2,814 - $3,421 per month
Plus excellent benefits
OPEN UNTIL FILLED: Applications received will be reviewed on a weekly basis
Community Services in the City of San Rafael is recruiting for a full-time Child Care Instructor II position in their Preschool Programming. Under the supervision of the Child Care Center Director, provide developmental care and supervision to children enrolled in the childcare program; implement age appropriate curriculum for children; establish and maintain supportive relationships with children and parents; and other related duties as assigned.
This position performs the following essential job duties:
- Plan, implement and supervise enrichment and recreation-based programs or developmental preschool programs.
- Develop age-appropriate curriculum and activities to stimulate children’s cognitive skills, abilities and development.
- Evaluate needs of children, staff and site in order to maintain a safe and healthy environment for children and staff.
- Supervise the activities of children and records observations of children’s behavior and activities; monitor behavioral patterns and develops assessment and profiles.
- Schedule parent conferences to discuss children’s development and concerns; work with family to devise learning and development strategies as necessary.
- Maintain accurate attendance and enrollment records; maintain appropriate confidential records.
- Supervise and coordinate the work of subordinate childcare staff.
- Monitor and order classroom supplies and materials as needed.
To be eligible for this position you must have knowledge of:
- Stages and phases of Child Development
- Age appropriate curriculum development and implementation
- Principles of observation and assessment of young children
- Principles of parent communication and support
- Instruction, supervision and classroom management techniques
- Appropriate disciplinary techniques
To be eligible for this position you must possess the ability to:
- Plan and implement curriculum based on principles of Child Development
- Supervise and coordinate staff and children
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships
- Work cooperatively to achieve program goals
- Interact and communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with children, parents, staff, host school and community members
- Manage time, activities and resources effectively
- Work as scheduled
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Completion of twelve (12) units of Early Childhood Education (ECE) courses (core classes).
- One year working with children in a group setting.
- Prefer BA in recreation, education or related field.
- Prefer Child Care Director qualified.
- Department of Justice and FBI fingerprint clearance
- Prefer possession of a valid California Driver’s License
Must be able to perform physical activities such as but not limited to: lifting or carrying children or heavy items (up to 40 lbs) unassisted, reaching, bending, standing, or walking. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, twist, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
City of San Rafael application is required. A City of San Rafael application is required. Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application since this information will be used to determine who will be invited to participate in the next phase of the examination process. The examination process may include the following: application appraisal and oral board interview examination. The passing point for the oral board examination final score will be 70%. Prior to appointment, candidate must pass a pre-placement physical examination, drug screen, a background check, and fingerprinting. To file an application, go online to www.calopps.org. Select “Member Agencies”. Select “San Rafael”.
Reasonable Accommodation: The City of San Rafael will make reasonable accommodations in the interview process to accommodate disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at (415) 485-3474 before the test date.
The City of San Rafael offers an attractive compensation and benefits program. The salary range for this position is $2,814 - $3,421 monthly, DOQ/DOE and a competitive benefits program including:
- Retirement: The City is a part of the Marin County Employee Retirement Association (MCERA) plan, which offers reciprocity between agencies in CalPERS (this is part of the 37 Act County System);
- Classic Employees – 2.7% @ at 55 formula, single highest year of compensation;
- Tier 2 Employees – 2% @ 55 formula, highest three years of compensation.
- PEPRA employees - hired after 1/1/13 or with 6-month break in service are eligible for a 2% at 62 formula, highest 3 year average compensation.
- Health Insurance: Full flex cafeteria plan which can be applied to a health plan or converted to cash (Employee Only - $745.00; Employee+1 - $1,087.68 Employee+Family - $1,115.49; Waive Coverage $300.00)
- Life and Long Term Disability Insurance: $5,000 basic and long-term disability is two-thirds of the salary up to $1,000 per month
- Dental Insurance: Fully paid premiums
- Vision Insurance: Fully paid employee premium
- Deferred Comp
- Annual Leave: Vacation 10 days (1-3 years of service); 12 days per year; 11 holidays.
- And more......