***THIS RECRUITMENT IS FOR A TEMPORARY SEASONAL POSITION ONLY***
Under close supervision, assists in the performance of a variety of entry-level and unskilled maintenance and repair duties in assigned maintenance operations, which may include park, landscape, creek and catch basin, street, road, restroom and facility maintenance.
Duties and Responsibilities
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Performs preparatory work for maintenance activities, including: gathering equipment, materials and supplies; loading and unloading materials, and laying out materials and equipment for projects;
- Performs a variety of routine physical labor tasks, depending upon area of assignment, including: posting general notices, pulling weeds, picking up litter, raking leaves and debris, planting, miscellaneous painting tasks, replacing light bulbs, emptying trash bins, graffiti removal, and restroom janitorial work;
- Performs cleanup at the end of the day or when the job is completed, including: picking up tools, spills, and debris; cleaning work areas, and performing touch-up work as needed;
- May operate a vehicle for pickup and delivery duties;
- May operate power tools such as power washer, leaf blower, weed eaters and basic hand tools such as brooms, shovels, rakes, hoes, etc.; and
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must possess strength, stamina, mobility and willingness to perform heavy physical work out of doors in all weather conditions and with exposure to traffic and potentially hazardous conditions;
- Must possess ability to drive a motor vehicle and/or light maintenance equipment; lift and move materials and equipment weighing up to 90 pounds and heavier weights with the use of proper equipment;
- Vision to read written materials and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone and/or radio;
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions;
- Must possess communication and interpersonal relationships skills to interact effectively with co-workers, supervisors and the general public sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction; and
- Must be able to work various weekday hours between 6:00AM and 4:00PM up to 40 hours per week.
- May require weekend hours and holidays (including Memorial Day and Fourth of July)
- Other various shifts may become available over the next 12 months; shifts are subject to change based on operational needs of the Department.
Education, Experience, and Other Requirements
- Completion of coursework equivalent to the eighth grade; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job as noted above;
- Valid class C California driver's license required and a satisfactory driving record; and
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
Compensation and Benefits
Benefits are not available for these positions beyond what is required by law. Compensation is hourly up to 40 hours per week. Seasonal employees are typically not assigned to work beyond 960 hours during a fiscal year which is July 1 through June 30. Seasonal assignments may be made for 6 months or less or other schedules to accommodate the needs of the Department.
The Selection Process
Interested individuals must apply online at www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sanramon. The most qualified applicants, as determined by initial screening of applications, will be invited to participate in an interview and testing process that may consist of written and oral board interview.
The City of San Ramon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex origin or disability. In accordance with Federal law, the City of San Ramon will only hire individuals who are legally authorized to work in the United States. As a condition of employment, you will be required to present proof of your identity and employment eligibility. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, should special accommodations be necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Division at (925) 973-2523.
Information contained herein is subject to change without notice.